Monday, May 24, 2010

The Matriarch

I fell in love with lace knitting. Shawls mostly. I want to knit them all...circulars, squares, triangles, you name it. I have almost a hundred great patterns for lace shawls of all shapes and sizes. 
On the Ravelry website, I found this fantastic pattern called Haruni. 
Haruni is a triangular shawl, worked from the top down, with a crochet bind off. You can easily adjust the size of this shawl by knitting more or less repeats of the first chart. A great story is behind the name. It seems that Haruni means "Grandmother" in Quenya, Tolkien's elven language. :-)
I cast on May 1st and cast off May 22, washed and blocked, taking well over 125 T-pins and needed more.
When I had finished I sat on my couch and stared at it for 20 minutes thinking, "Wow, look what I made."
I will be giving this shawl to my eldest sister, Diane who is the matriarch of our family and my second mother. 

1 comment:

  1. Susan, this is gorgeous! She is going to be thrilled on may levels!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is subject to the whim of my thoughts. Read at your own discretion.