Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Carolyn's Prayer Shawl

My sister Carolyn was diagnosed with Acute Leukemia in August of 2010. She is 59 years old. 
I wanted to make her a special prayer shawl while she is having to endure chemotherapy and bone marrow tests. 
I chose the Rona Lace Shawl and the color Dusty Blue of the LB 1878 because I felt it truly represented in my mind the essence of my sister. 
Upon her first chemo treatment on August 12th I began this shawl.
Being dyslexic is a pain in the rear end. When I started this project, I thought it said to begin with 9 stitches. Well it’s not, it’s 6 stitches. 
I didn’t figure that out until I was well into the shawl. 
So the dimensions given for this shawl is larger than the pattern calls for. Holy cow.
Out of 153 rounds minus the edging, I’m now on 130 with one thousand stitches on my needles. It takes me an hour to go around one time.
Now on round 149. I can see the finish line. It’s taking me a little bit longer than an hour to finish one round, especially when I add beads. I am hoping to have this shawl finished, washed and blocked by this weekend. 10/25/10
Praise the knitting goddess I finally finished Carolyn’s Prayer Shawl on Halloween. It blocked over four beach towels and took 100 T-pins to secure. It’s just over 70 inches in diameter.
All the mistakes are my own doing, I attribute it to several wine nights and also not looking for the Errata for the pattern until well too late. We will just say it’s unique and hope that my sister will enjoy it for years to come.

2 comments:

  1. You know she will and she'll feel blessed and loved every time she touches it. Can hardly wait to hear about her reaction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shawl. She will love and cherish it. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is subject to the whim of my thoughts. Read at your own discretion.