Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Recycle, Remake, Reinvent

Back in April of 2010, I had attempted to make a wearable object from the yarn of Beth's sweaters that her grandmother had made for her. However, the shawl I made was the most hidious, disappointing, and down right ugliest thing that has every come off my needles. I was devistated.
So, I asked for the object of my distain back so that I could recreate it into something that I felt she wouldn't throw into the back of her closet and secretly send off to the garbage shoot when it became a lost memory for the both of us.

The sweater pattern I used was never intended to be used with this particular weight of yarn, but because of that, it evolved into a unique sweater that can never be duplicated.
The yarn her grandmother used was unidentifiable. I am sure it wasn't wool, but that is all I was sure about. I didn't have enough of the orange yarn to make this sweater, so used a crochet cotton for the rest, adding the blue/grey yarn from another yarn of her grandmother's that I have no conception of what it was either.

I think it's only fair to add that the knitting goddess thumbed her nose at me on this project. After I had it completed, I found that I had knitted one of the sleeves upside down.
Since it was an "after thought" sleeve, I was able to undo it at the source, turn it over and reattach it with a kitchner stitch.
I'm sure I will do this pattern again, but only with the yarn recommended and in one color. Lesson learned is that knitting teaches patience and humility EVERY day. :-)


1 comment:

  1. An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto
    a coworker who had been doing a little homework on this.
    And he in fact ordered me breakfast because I found it for
    him... lol. So allow me to reword this.... Thanks for
    the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending the time to talk
    about this topic here on your web site.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is subject to the whim of my thoughts. Read at your own discretion.